JOHN F. KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL
SY 2012 – 2013
Vol. 5 Issue 32 Tuesday, December 18, 2012 GREEN DAY: 1, 3, and 5
John F. Kennedy’s mission is to develop our island students to become globally primed high achievers.
Our ESLRs: John F. Kennedy High School students will be responsible citizens, problem solvers, effective communicators, and technologically literate.
Christmas Break is December 24, 2012 – January 4, 2013. Classes resume Monday, January 7, 2013.
ATTENTION JFK COMMUNITY
· Close-Up Club is selling Christmas snack grams for $3 and contain a candy cane, a Rice Krispy treat, and a Capri-Sun. See any member if you are interested! Distribution in on Friday, December 21.
· Fieldtrip to watch The Hobbit was originally set for Tues, Dec 18. It has now been changed to Thurs, Dec 20. Students participating are from Ms. Hernden and Mr. Quinata’s classes and all English 12 classes. Please note this is a GREEN Day (1, 3, 5).
· Seniors: Cap and gown purchases at Gino’s are on-going. Last day to purchase cap and gown is December 31. Fifty-percent down payment is allowed.
· ALL JFK Students: Do you have the voice? Are you good in spitting rhymes? Have you ever wanted to dance w/ the stars? The Class of 2013 is looking for talented singers, poets, and dancers to audition for Got Talent 3: The Finale (January 26, 2013). Auditions will be held in D103starting Dec 10-13 and 17-21 during lunch (except for Tuesdays) and after school from 1:45-4p.m.
· Japanese Club is selling, “Got Ramen?” t-shirts for $12. Shirts are white ramen bowl noodles w/ chopsticks. Look for a Japanese Club officer or go to F102 to purchase or reserve one today!
· Seniors: Do you want to look good for prom? Then you should participate in the Senior Biggest Loser. Weigh-in is on Tuesday, Jan 8, 2013. Prizes for the winners are free prom tickets. Runner-up prizes are pending. Competition is from Jan 8- May 8, 2013, so come out and join in on the Senior Biggest Loser.
· Yearbook staff will be available during lunch at the Main entrance to the school every 1,3,5 day starting Dec 10 – May 17. Reserve your iYearbook NOW!
· Christmas time is near, come buy roses here! From the Class of 2015, in pink, white, or green. $4.00 is the cost, buy now or it’s your loss. “Christmas Grams” can be purchased from any committee member or in B213. Last day to purchase is Monday, December 17.
· Go Islanders! Now is your chance to showcase your pride by purchasing your very own JFK Spirit Shirt! See designs and pre-order with any committee member or in B213 for only $10. For info, please see C/O 2015 Kyle Takahashi or Maricris Naranjo. Last day for pre-orders will be December 17.
· Islanders! Showcase your Islander Spirit by wearing your very own “Letterman Jacket.” The Class of 2015 is taking pre-orders for only $60; see a committee member or go to B213 to see a photocopy example so you can place your order! A 50% deposit is required to place your order, upon the remaining 50% is payable upon pick-up of your jacket. For more info, please see Kyle Takahashi or Maricris Naranjo. Last day for orders will be December 21!
· Sophomores: Now is your chance to showcase your pride by purchasing your very own Class of 2015 t-shirt! Pre-orders are being taken by committee members or in B213.
· Vivace is selling spirit shirts displaying headphones and a heart with the Vivace logo. T-shirts cost $12 for 1, but if you buy 2 or more…they’re $10 each!!! Shirts come in black, light gray, navy, or dark gray! To place your order…please see any Vivace Senior or visit the Choir Room (D101).
· The GATE-VPA Theater Arts Program is holding auditions for Disney’s “High School Musical” at UMS (Tiyan) on Dec 17, 18 19 from 6-8p.m. They need singers, dancers, and actors. Techies also need to sign up at this time. For more info, call Ray or Anne at 475-0598 or 789-2125.
· Class of 2K14: You may start to pre-order your class shirts for $12; may be paid to any class officer or advisor. The class of 2K14 is also selling school spirit shirts for $12. Designs will be posted throughout the campus. Order forms are available from any officer or in B107 or C201.
· NHS will be offering tutoring sessions from Monday to Friday, except Wednesdays, during lunch in B210. After school tutoring will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 to 230pm in B210.
· College Access Challenge Grant Program: Tutors will be in the Library during lunch weekly on Tues, Wed, and Thurs. This is for CACGP participants and students in need of tutoring services.
FACULTY AND STAFF
· Teachers: Please review your Emergency Procedures – Quick Reference Guide (October 3 memo); if you are new or need a copy, please see Bobbie or Kin in the Student Support Office. There will be a Lockdown Drill this week. We understand that instructional time will be interrupted, but we must also ensure that our faculty, staff, and students are familiar with procedures in the event of an emergency. Thank you.
· See you at Coffee Connection this Wednesday, December 19, 6:00am in the Faculty/Staff Lounge! Department Sponsors are ESL, Language Arts, SPED, and World Language.
· Access to classrooms will be limited during the Christmas Break due to buffing/waxing of floors. Please assist by storing all items in cabinets and picking up computer CPUs/wires and plugs off the floors. Thank you!
· A BIG thanks to the faculty and staff who organized our JFKHS Christmas Luncheon on Friday!
· ALL Club/Organization Advisors must reconcile their ledger with the school ledger. Please do so ASAP or fundraising events may be jeopardized. See Mrs. Cruz/Ms. Gutierrez for further info.
· Seniors: There are 5 tips for writing winning essays for your scholarship applications. I will run 1 tip weekly and add current scholarships info. The first tip is 1) Directly Answer the Question: If you are asked to answer a specific question, stick to it. Writers add many interesting points but fail to answer the question directly which may hurt your chances in the long run. Mr. Ballares
· $5,000.00 Alcoa Recycling Scholarship- Aluminum never wears out, it can be recycled forever. Plus when you recycle a can, it saves 95% of the energy it would take to make a brand new one. Your goal is simple. With our help, we want you to recycle at least 50 cans. Think you’re up for the challenge? Application deadline is Dec 18. Sign up at http://www.dosomething.org/50cans
· Ronald McDonald House Charities U.S. Scholarship Program-Application Deadline: Dec 20. RMHC wants students to reach their full potential. Their network of U.S. Chapters, along with RMHC Global, offer scholarships to students in financial need who have demonstrated academic achievement, leadership and community involvement; more than $44 million in scholarships have been awarded!
· The GCA has four scholarships for Seniors interestedattending the Guam Construction Trades Academy. It is worth $2,500 to the recipients of this scholarship. Applications can be picked up in the Counseling Office. See Mr. Ballares or Mrs. Chargualaf.