JOHN F. KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL
SY 2012 – 2013
Vol. 5 Issue 29 Thursday, December 6, 2012 GOLD DAY: 2, 4, and 6
John F. Kennedy’s mission is to develop our island students to become globally primed high achievers.
Our ESLRs: John F. Kennedy High School students will be responsible citizens, problem solvers, effective communicators, and technologically literate.
ATTENTION JFK COMMUNITY
· Girls Rugby meeting today during lunch in the Weight Room.
· Japanese Club is selling, “Got Ramen?” t-shirts for $12. Shirts are white ramen bowl noodles w/ chopsticks. Look for a Japanese Club officer or go to F102 to purchase or reserve one today!
· ALL JFK Students: Do you have the voice? Are you good in spitting rhymes? Have you ever wanted to dance with the stars? Then come out and audition for Got Talent 3: The Finale. The Class of 2013 is looking for talented singers, poets, and dancers to audition for Got Talent 3: The Finale (January 26, 2013). Auditions will be held in D103 starting December 10-13; and December 17-21, 2012 during lunch and after school from 2-3 p.m.
· Seniors: Do you want to look good for prom? Then you should participate in the Senior Biggest Loser. Weigh-in is on Tuesday, January 8, 2013. Prizes for the winners are free prom tickets. Runner-up prizes are pending. Competition is from January 8th- May 8th, 2013, so come out and join in on the Senior Biggest Loser.
· Seniors: Graduation committee meeting for sub-committee chairs is today during lunch in D101.
· Seniors: If you are interested in being part of the 5K committee, please come to room D-101 during lunch on Friday, December 14. Race to Graduation is set for Saturday, March 30, 2013.
· Seniors: Cap and gown purchases at Gino’s are on-going. Last day to purchase cap and gown is December 31. Fifty-percent down payment is allowed.
· Senior portrait deadline is December 10. Please remember your scheduled date. If need of any changes please call Mr. Mapote at 777-2443.
· Seniors: If you would like to submit a design for a class shirt, please submit designs by next class meeting which is Tuesday, December 11, 2012.
· Yearbook staff will be available during lunch at the Main entrance to the school every 1,3,5 day starting Dec 10 – May 17. Reserve your iYearbook NOW!
· Close-Up Club is selling Christmas snack gramsfor $3 and contain a candy cane, a Rice Krispy treat, and a Capri-Sun. See any member if you are interested!
· Get to Know GCC Programs: GCC teachers and students will be in D104 during lunch next week - Tues, Wed, and Thurs (Dec 11-13). Come by and learn more about what GCC programs can offer at JFK. Freshmen and sophomores, we are looking for interested students to sign up for next year.
· …and Gandalf said, “I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.” However,the Class of 2015 has stepped up and is inviting you on anunexpected journey…The Hobbit on Fri, Dec 14, 5:00pm at the Micronesian Mall. Tickets can be purchased for $8.50 from any committee member or in B213. Games and raffle prizes will be available for the adventure seekers!
· Christmas time is near, come buy roses here! From the Class of 2015, in pink, white, or green. $4.00 is the cost, buy now or it’s your loss. “Christmas Grams” can be purchased from any committee member or in B213. Last day to purchase is Monday, December 17.
· Go Islanders! Now is your chance to showcase your pride by purchasing your very own JFK Spirit Shirt! See designs and pre-order with any committee member or in B213 for only $10. For info, please see C/O 2015 Kyle Takahashi or Maricris Naranjo. Last day for pre-orders will be December 17.
· Islanders! Showcase your Islander Spirit by wearing your very own “Letterman Jacket.” The Class of 2015 is taking pre-orders for only $60; see a committee member or go to B213 to see a photocopy example so you can place your order! A 50% deposit is required to place your order, upon the remaining 50% is payable upon pick-up of your jacket. For more info, please see Kyle Takahashi or Maricris Naranjo. Last day for orders will be December 21!
· Sophomores: Now is your chance to showcase your pride by purchasing your very own Class of 2015 t-shirt! Pre-orders are being taken by committee members or in B213.
· Looking for a way to hang out with your friends this Christmas Season??? Come buy a ticket for JFK Bowling Day sponsored by NHS on Dec. 15 from 10am-3pm. Each ticket includes one game, a drink, and a hot dog. Tickets are $6 and can be bought from any NHS member.
· Can’t think of a Christmas gift? NHS will be selling Christmas Grams for $3, which includes 2 Rice Krispies. Get it while supplies last!!!
· 3rd Qtr Sports: Sign-up in the Gym during lunchfor Boys’/Girls’ Tennis, Boys’/Girls’ Rugby, Boys’ Basketball, and Girls’ Softball until Dec 6. First official practice begins Dec 10. Requirements: Parental consent and physical forms must be submitted. Also no Fs or Us. See Mr. Antonio if you have questions.
· Vivace is selling spirit shirts displaying headphones and a heart with the Vivace logo. T-shirts cost $12 for 1, but if you buy 2 or more…they’re $10 each!!! Shirts come in black, light gray, navy, or dark gray! To place your order…please see any Vivace Senior or visit the Choir Room (D101).
· The GATE-VPA Theater Arts Program is holding auditions for Disney’s “High School Musical” at UMS (Tiyan) on Dec 17, 18 19 from 6-8p.m. They need singers, dancers, and actors. Techies also need to sign up at this time. For more info, call Ray or Anne at 475-0598 or 789-2125.
· It's that time of the year again, where the bells jingle and the carols sing, but this year a mystical event is amidst. Come join W.A.Y. in this year's winter formal "Frost Façade: A Winter Masquerade” on Sat., Dec. 15 at the Somnak Ballroom, Westin Resort from 6-11PM. Enjoy a mysterious night full of food, dance, games, and prizes! Tickets are $25. This is a semi-formal event. Hope to see you there in your best outfit with your most mystical mask! Please see any W.A.Y. Officer for tickets or inquires.
· Class of 2K14: You may start to pre-order your class shirts for $12; may be paid to any class officer or advisor. The class of 2K14 is also selling school spirit shirts for $12. Designs will be posted throughout the campus. Order forms are available from any officer or in B107 or C201.
· Are you hungry after school?Do you want food at reasonable prices? Then the C/O 2015 is here to satisfy your appetite! C/O 2015 is selling snacks and drinks after school near the front entrance daily!
· NHS will be offering tutoring sessions from Monday to Friday, except Wednesdays, during lunch in B210. After school tutoring will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 to 230pm in B210.
· College Access Challenge Grant Program: Tutors will be in the Library during lunch weekly on Tues, Wed, and Thurs. This is for CACGP participants and students in need of tutoring services.
FACULTY AND STAFF
· Life Insurance Orientation for Luchan District is scheduled for Thursday, December 6, 3:45 p.m. to 4:45 p.m .in the JFK Cafeteria.For more info on the plan, call Tania Cepeda from the Standard Insurance Company 475-5500, Terri Delos Reyes at 475-1179, or Adrian Peregrino at 4751296.
· ALL Club/Organization Advisors must reconcile their ledger with the school ledger. Please do so ASAP or fundraising events may be jeopardized. See Mrs. Cruz/Ms. Gutierrez for further info.
· All posters must have prior administration approval before being posted on campus. Please drop posters in the Main Office to Ms. Liza Mafnas. Remember ONLY painter’s tape may be used if your decide not to utilize the many poster boards throughout campus.
· Seniors: There are 5 tips for writing winning essays for your scholarship applications. I will run 1 tip weekly and add current scholarships info. The first tip is 1) Directly Answer the Question: If you are asked to answer a specific question, stick to it. Writers add many interesting points but fail to answer the question directly which may hurt your chances in the long run. Mr. Ballares
· $5,000.00 Alcoa Recycling Scholarship- Aluminum never wears out, it can be recycled forever. Plus when you recycle a can, it saves 95% of the energy it would take to make a brand new one. Your goal is simple. With our help, we want you to recycle at least 50 cans. Think you’re up for the challenge? Application deadline is Dec 18. Sign up at http://www.dosomething.org/50cans
· Ronald McDonald House Charities U.S. Scholarship Program-Application Deadline: Dec 20. RMHC wants students to reach their full potential. Their network of U.S. Chapters, along with RMHC Global, offer scholarships to students in financial need who have demonstrated academic achievement, leadership and community involvement. Since 1985, more than $44 million in scholarships have been awarded. Mr. Ballares
· The GCA has four scholarships for Seniors interestedattending the Guam Construction Trades Academy. It is worth $2,500 to the recipients of this scholarship. Applications can be picked up in the Counseling Office. See Mr. Ballares or Mrs. Chargualaf.
*JFK entrance fee: $2.00 for students and $3.00 for adults (wear a JFK shirt and receive ½ off for entrance), JFK faculty/staff free for home games.
Wrestling Opponent Site Time
Sat, 12/08 Okkodo Okkodo 4:00pm
Sat, 12/15 Sanchez Sanchez 10am