Last Updated on Saturday, 18 August 2012 17:48
Written by Sanjay H. Sharma
JOHN F. KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL • SY 2011 – 2012
Vol. 4 Issue 67 Thursday, May 10, 2012 GOLD DAY: 2, 4, and 6
John F. Kennedy High School’s mission is to develop our island students to become globally primed high achievers.
Our ESLRs: John F. Kennedy High School students will be responsible citizens, problem solvers, effective communicators, and technologically literate.
HAPPY TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK!
- GDOE Coins for Cancer Survivors:Help raise funds for the American Cancer Society’s “Relay for Life.” We are seeking the support of the school community to raise funds and also raise awareness on the causes and treatment of the disease. We challenge YOU to support the coin drive May 1 - May 17. Once you have counted the money raised and filled out the attached cash count sheet, submit your money to the Business Office either Thur, May 17 or Fri, May 18.
- Team TAGA is sponsoring a drive (March 12 – May 18) to collect donations for Guam San Jose (homeless shelter) as part of their service learning project. Please donate toiletries (towels, soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.) and cleaning supplies (Clorox, Pinesol, Comet, etc.). You may drop items in the Main Office or to any Team TAGA teacher/student!
CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS
- INTERACT CLUB: Interested in giving back to your community? Meetings every Friday in A207 during lunch.
- BIBLE CLUB: Do you feel Lonely? Depressed? 1Peter 5:7 says to “cast your cares upon him because he cares for you.” You’re invited to attend our meeting every Fri in D106 and listen to guest speakers whose lives have changed.
- Creations Art Club: Meeting every Thurs in D103 or for more info please see Mr. Quinata.
- JAPANESE CLUB: Meetings every Wed. in F202.
- Chinese Cultural Club (CCC): Meeting every Friday at Lunch in A205.
- BILLIARDS CLUB: Meetings every WEDNESDAYS in Rm B201.
- FUTURE EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION: Meetings are every Thursday in A202 during lunch.
- MARINE DEFENDERS: Meetings are Thursday at lunchtime.
- I-Recycle Club: Meetings every Wednesday at Lunch in Room D223.
- Filipino Club (UFSA): Meetings every Thursday at Lunch in Room D223.
- Tourism Hospitality Society will be holding its regular meetings every Friday during lunch in Room G104.
- Robotics Club will be holding its regular meetings every Thursday during lunch in Room D114.
- WAVE CLUB: Welcome All Visitors Enthusiastically! Meetings held every Wednesday in room A207.
- MICRONESIAN YOUTH CLUB meeting every Wednesday during lunch in room F104.
- AUTOMOTIVE CLUB: meetings held every Wednesday during lunch in G103 (Automotive Class, not Shop).
- ELECTIONS will be held on Thursday, May 10 and Friday, May 11 in the courtyard during lunch. Come out to vote for your next class, W.A.Y. and IBOGs member of SY 2012-13. Your vote counts!
- John F. Kennedy High School’s Senior Class of 2012 is hosting the first Annual Carshow “Battle of the Autoclubs” on May 12 from 4 – 6pm at the Guam International Raceway, Yigo. Entrance fee is $3 and can be purchased from any Senior Class member/officer. If you’re also interested in entering your vehicle, please see Mr. Junsay in B201. Vehicle entry is $15 per car and comes with one free fool plate.
- SENIORS!!! The Class of 2012 presents “Senior Promenade: The Final Serenade” to be held on Friday, June 1 from 6 – 11pm at the Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort. Purchase your tickets in B213; $35 for singles and $60 for couples. Seating reservations are available upon request. Hope to see you there!
- INTERACT CLUB: Membership meeting on Thursday, May 10 during lunch in A210. Induction Ceremony is scheduled for Friday, May 11.
or see Mrs. Nanpei, GCC CTE Counselor if you have any questions.
- Library Book Checkout: We have extended the deadline from April 30 to May 10 due to high demands to check out books from the students for class projects. All the books must be returned no later than May 25, 2012. Any books that are returned after May 25, will be considered as overdue and fined accordingly. Remember we are here to support you. Thank you for utilizing our library--Librarian, Mr. Seerengan.
- Calling all ARTISTS: The 1st Annual “On the Spot” Painting Contest for high school students will take place on June 2. Over $500 will be awarded to the Top 3. For an entry form or info., see Mr. Quinata in D103.
- SENIORS: Haven’t ordered your cap and gown? They can be purchased in B213 during lunch and after school only. Cost is $65 and includes cap, gown, tassel, and stole. Sizes are limited!
- SENIORS: Cap and gowns are ready to be picked up. Distribution will be done during lunch and after school only as follows: Last Names A – M in B213 (Ms. Estay) / Last Names N – Z in B201 (Mr. Junsay).
- SUMMER SCHOOL: Mandatory Parent/Student Orientation on Thurs, June 14 at 6pm in the gym. Session A: June 18 - July 9/Session B: July 10-31; Mon - Fri from 7:30-11:30 AM. Students must provide their own transportation.
FACULTY AND STAFF
- POWER TEACHER: training is scheduled for June 15 and June 22. If you would like to attend, please speak to our computer operator, Marcie, or Dr. Adamos. Seating is limited so please act fast!
- Literacy Star Chart evidence form submissions are due Tuesday, May 15, 2012.
- Want to teach Summer School 2012? The program will commence Monday, June 18 with a teacher orientation and mandatory parent orientation (for minor-aged students) and will end July 31 with a total of 120 instructional hours (30-days). Students may take up to two ½ credits for a total of 1.0 credit. Session A begins June 18, ends July 9. Session B begins July 10, July 31. Classes meet Monday through Friday starting at 7:30 A.M. and ending at 11:45 A.M.
- TEACHER TRANSFER DEADLINE: Those interested must complete and submit a request to Personnel Services Division no later than COB on Friday, 5/25/12. Call Doris Faisao at 300-1617, Shirley Camacho at 300-1614 or Eve Flores at 300-1610 if you have questions. Check your email or see Ms. Gutierrez for forms.
- RETIRED/LIMITED TERM TEACHERS: Separation forms placed in your box. Questions, call Doris Faisao at 300-1617, Shirley Camacho at 300-1614 or Eve Flores at 300-1610.
FROM THE COUNSELORS
- SENIORS! Interested in college but don't know what to do, where to start, and when it's all due? UOG’sEducational Talent Search Program can help! UOG ETS is a free federally funded program that assist JFK students in preparing for college. Senior services include assistance with any and all college applications, help with financial aid applications, assistance with preparing for placement tests, and even help with registering and choosing college classes. ETS may even be able to help pay for your college application! UOG ETS is currently accepting applications from all grade levels. Space is limited! See Mr. Ballares in the counseling office to pick up or submit your application!
- Shieh Scholarship: Graduating high school senior who has demonstrated excellence in academics, high school sports, community service, and leadership. Minimum GPA of 3.4 based on a 4.00 system or 84 based on a 100 point system. Must be a senior and plans on matriculating in a U.S. Accredited College or University in the Fall of 2012. Visit http://www.shiehclinic.com/scholarathlete/Welcome.html for more information.
- Japanese Government Scholarship. Attend college in Japan; for U.S. citizens, not Japanese. Deadline 6/18.
- UOG Summer Research Apprenticeship Program. Sophomores or Juniors interested in Science. June 25 - July 27 with pay. Application deadline May 31.
- Dancer? Cheerleader? Interested in a scholarship to Hawaii Pacific University? Visit www.hpu.edu/loginfor info.
- SENIORS: Potential grad list is in the Counseling Office. Is your name there? See your counselor if you have ???
- Guam Society of America/Brigida Guzman scholarship: http://guamsociety.org/gsa-scholarships/. Deadline 5/28.
. Club or organization announcements must come from the advisor(s).