PTSA MEETING: THURSDAY, 12 DEC 2013
LOCATION: JFK LIBRARY (MEDIA CENTER)
TIME: 6:30 PM
JOHN F. KENNEDY HIGH SCHOOL
SY 2013 – 2014
Vol. 6 Issue 28 Tuesday, November 26, 2013 GREEN DAY: 1,3, & 5
John F. Kennedy’s mission is to develop our island students to become globally primed high achievers.
Our ESLRs: John F. Kennedy High School students will be responsible citizens, problem solvers, effective communicators, and technologically literate.
Happy Thanksgiving Islanders!!!
¥ REMINDER: Wednesday, November 27 is Mid- Quarter…Progress Reports are due.
¥ HOLIDAY: Thursday, November 28 – NO CLASSES
¥ MAKE-UP DAY: Friday, November 29 – CLASSES ARE IN SESSION.
¥ Vivace invites you to kick off the holiday season with them at their concert Extraordinary Christmas! Two nights only: Friday, December 6th at 7pm & Saturday, December 7th at 7pm both performances will be at New Covenant Life Church in Tamuning. Tickets are available now for $7 from any Vivace member or in room D101. Tickets at the door are $10. Please join us as we sing your holiday favorites and more!
¥ Would you like to be a part of the first-ever Chamoru Musical Production at JFK? JFK Presents "Guahu Taotao Tano!" Open auditions and casting call will be on Monday, November 18 through Wednesday, November 27 during lunch in D216. We are seeking guitarist, ukulele players, percussionists, vocalist/singers, actors, cultural dancers and urban dancers. Please see Sinot Terlaje, Mr. Calvo, or anyone of the production committee members to schedule your audition in D216. Let us come together to show the beauty of our culture and most especially the tremendous talent at JFK. Si Yu'os Ma'ase'!
¥ Effectively immediately, the library will be opened at 6 A.M. and will close at 2:30 P.M.
¥ Walkers must use the sidewalk and crosswalk. You may not cut through the parking lots!
¥ In order to ensure that students are on time to class and not waiting until the last minute to eat, the cafeteria line will close at 6:45a.m. for breakfast and 11:20a.m. for lunch. Please be prompt!
John F. Kennedy High School is featured on Pacific News Center regarding its 300 musical chair event. Biba islanders!
Parents/Guardians and Students,
Hafa adai! Please be guided by the following John F. Kennedy High School events:
· Thursday, Oct. 31st – Student must be in full uniform; no costumes will be allowed. Face painting is acceptable.
· Friday, Nov. 1st – All Souls’ Day holiday - no classes.
· Thursday, Nov. 7th – Parent Teacher Conference (PTC) from 7:00 A.M. – 12:15 P.M. Break will be from 10:00-10:15 A.M. No classes on this day. Eighteen-year-old students must give a written authorization for parents to pick up report card and/or meet with teachers. Assistance with parent and student portal access will also be available.
· Monday, Nov. 11th – Veterans’ Day holiday - no classes.
· Thursday, Nov. 14th – Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) monthly meeting at 6:30 P.M. in the cafeteria. Students who scored in the 90th percentile for 2013 SAT10 scores will be recognized. All are invited to attend.
· Friday, Nov. 15th – half-day instruction / accreditation day. Students will be released at 11:20 A.M. Breakfast and lunch will be served.
· Monday, Nov. 25th – Fiscal Year 2015 Budget Presentation will be held from 6-7 P.M. in the cafeteria. All JFKHS stakeholders are invited to attend to provide input.
· Thursday, Nov. 28th – Thanksgiving Holiday - no classes.
· Friday, Nov. 29th – [Flexible Make-up Day] - Classes will be held to make up lost instructional day due to Tropical Storm Francisco. This will be a green day – periods 1, 3 and 5.
As a reminder, updates are available via the PDN Educational Update, the school website: www.jfkislanders.com, the parent portal, and the school marquee. Have a great day!
Barbara R. Adamos, Ed.D.
(HELPING EVERY LEARNER PROGRESS)
A DIRECTORY OF AGENCIES AND LOCATIONS
FOR ACADEMIC NEEDS
COMPUTER INTERNET RESOURCES OUTSIDE SCHOOL CAMPUS
Guam Public Libraries All branches (different branch hours vary) Ph # 475-4751 http://gpls.guam.gov
Mayors’ offices - limited, on request if available
Laptop hookups, free wireless: Mobil Gas Stations, McDonald’s Restaurants, Outrigger Hotel Lobby, Coffee Beanery (Micronesia Mall, Tumon, Agana, Tamuning), Shirley’s Coffee Shop (Tamuning, Agana, Harmon), Roasted Coffee Shop, Wash n’ Dry (Maite and Harmon), Hava Java, Java Junction , miscellaneous coffee shops and restaurants
Americorps (Federal Grant) Scholarships for community service Ph#735-2234
College Access Challenge Grant Program (CACGP) Guam Community College. Federal grant program. College prep assistance and services for underserved populations. Ph#735-5565. www.facebook/GCC-College-Access-Challenge-Grant-Program.
Educational Talent Search Program (ETS). University of Guam. Federal grant program for students from disadvantaged backgrounds, minority or under-represented groups. Ph#735-1990/2246
Upward Bound / TRIO. University of Guam. Federal set of grant programs to assist minority or low income students in completing their high school education with encouragement to continue onto college. Ph#735-2245